From Coast to Coast Best PR Practices Take Center Stage and $10,000 Awarded to Scholarship Recipients
LOS ANGELES, Oct. 9 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ — The Hispanic Public Relations Association(R) (HPRA), a non-profit organization founded to advance the careers of Hispanics in the field of communications, celebrated a night of excellence at its annual PRemio Awards & Scholarship Gala on Thursday, October 8, at The Highlands in Hollywood.
The theme for the evening was “Twenty-Five Years in Action” in honor of the long-lasting legacy the organization represents. Founding members John Echeveste, Myrna Gutierrez and David Garcia highlighted why the organization was started in 1984 and why it’s still relevant today to foster the next generation of Hispanic communicators. The organization was founded on the principals of promoting professional development through educational programs; to provide assistance to students; and to advocate responsible coverage of issues and images affecting the Hispanic community.
“As an organization, we’re proud to achieve such a milestone,” said Ivette Zurita, HPRA President. “The need for HPRA continues to grow as more and more Hispanic PR practitioners enter the workforce, becoming the voice of our communities and seek cultural camaraderie.”
As the organization continues to expand, so do the categories that are honored in the prestigious campaign of the year awards. Entries from national and regional public relations, marketing and advertising professionals and agencies were received. The entries were judged by an independent panel of judges with specific expertise in Hispanic campaigns.
The HPRA campaign of the year categories and 2009 winners include:
1. Non Profit Media Event Category – The Axis Agency /Weber Shandwick (Miami) Client: U.S. Army’s Miami Recruiting Battalion
2. Integrated Marketing Communications Category – Bromley Communications (Houston) Client: Western Union
3. Healthcare Category – EuroRSCG (Pittsburgh) Client: Transitions Optical
4. Sports Category – Formulatin (New York) Client: Tecate Premios Deportes
5. Public Education Category – VPE Client: McDonald’s RMHC/HACER Scholarship
6. Food and Beverage Category – RL Public Relations Client: Honey Nut Cheerios “Delicioso y Saludable”
7. Corporate Media Event Category – RL Public Relations Client: Heineken Green Ribbon
8. Non-Profit Category – Revolucion (New York) Client: American Heart Association
“HPRA has been the standard in the Hispanic public relations industry for the past twenty-five years. Communications, specifically public relations, is the association’s and its members’ core focus, and not something tagged on to marketing programs as added value. Our practitioners are experts in their field, and the campaigns awarded demonstrate best practices industry nationwide,” said Ivette Zurita, HPRA President.
During the event, HPRA recognized the following outstanding Hispanic communications professionals: Roxana Lissa, CEO and founder of RL Public Relations with the Public Relations Award; Abelardo de la Pena, Jr., Editor and Publisher of LatinoLA.com and contributor to national think tank, Iconoculture with the Journalism Award, and McDonald’s(R) Corporation with the Corporation of the Year Award.
In addition, HPRA awarded $10,000 in scholarships to the following deserving Hispanic undergraduate students pursuing a communications degree or a career in the field:
1. Ben Gutierrez, University of Southern California
2. Kimberly Martinez, Riverside Community College
3. Manuel Miranda, University of Southern California
4. Ernesto Munoz, Jr., Cal State Fullerton
5. Tanya Prouty, University of Southern California
6. Jocelyn Torres, University of Southern California
7. Nicole Vega, Cal Lutheran University
8. Natalie Veissalov, University of La Verne
Serving as emcee for the evening was author and Hot 92.3 radio personality, Josefa Salinas, a twenty plus radio veteran. Directing this year’s PRemio Awards was Oralia Michel, President of OMAGEN, Inc. Sponsors for the event included: Goya Foods, McDonald’s Corporation, Toyota Motor Company, RL Public Relations, VPE Public Relations, Southern California Edison, The Walt Disney Company, Sempra Energy, The California Wellness Foundation, Southern California Edison, City National Bank, Hill & Knowlton, PR Newswire, Medialink, Cision, CentroNet Productions, Tolsek Printing and MMi Mailing.
To become a member of HPRA plus receive a one-year PR Week subscription, or for additional information, visit http://www.hpra-usa.org .
About Hispanic Public Relations Association(R) (HPRA):
HPRA was founded in 1984 as a non-profit organization to establish a network of Hispanics employed in the public relations profession in the Southern California area. HPRA now has members nationwide representing public relations, marketing and advertising professionals from agencies, government, non-profit and corporations. HPRA is dedicated to the advancement of Hispanic professionals and provides educational seminars and workshops throughout the year. The organization has awarded more than $210,000 in scholarships to Latino students pursuing a career in communications during the last 25 years. HPRA strives to be a resource for communications professionals and for those seeking insights into the Hispanic market. For more information, please visit http://www.hpra-usa.org .
HPRA Marketing Director
Vesper Public Relations
P: (818) 667-6403
SOURCE Hispanic Public Relations Association